375g Pack Carême Butter Puff Pastry, defrosted
1 tsp vanilla paste
125g caster sugar
5 egg yolks
100ml cream for whipping
1 ½ cups pure icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 200c fan-forced (220c non-fan). Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the sheet of puff pastry on baking tray, lay another sheet of baking paper on top, followed by a second baking tray. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, reduce temperature to 180c fan-forced (200c non-fan) and continue to bake for a further 10 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Set the pastry to one side.
- Bring the 400ml of the milk (reserve 100ml) just to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Meanwhile in a heat proof bowl whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla until pale. Add the cornflour and the remaining cold 100ml milk, whisk to combine. Pour in the hot milk whisking continuously. Heat mixture in a clean saucepan over medium heat, whisk vigorously until thickened and bring to the boil (4-5 minutes).
- Transfer to a clean bowl, cover with cling wrap so it comes into contact with the surface of the custard, refrigerated for 30 minutes to cool.
- Slice the baked pastry sheet in half lengthways, so you have two long rectangles, place the pasty on a board ready to cut.
- To make the icing whisk together the icing sugar and milk.
- Whip 100ml cream. Give cooled custard a quick whip then fold in the whipped cream. Spread the custard cream mixture over one half of the pastry, top with the remaining pastry. Slice into six portions. Drizzle each portion with icing and serve.
Bakers Tip – Try using Florentine Base Mix as delicious topper .