With buttery, flaky pastry cases and a decadent filling of rum soaked dried fruits and pecans, these fruit mince tarts are perfect for a Christmas treat or to give away as a gift. Make the fruit mince at least two days ahead, but even longer (up to a month), if possible. The longer the fruit soaks, the more intense the flavours will be.
Prep/Cook Time: 60mins, plus overnight refrigeration
Skill Level: Intermediate
• 2 x 435g Carême Vanilla Bean Sweet Shortcrust Pastry, defrosted
• 150g dried figs, finely chopped
• ¾ cup (100g) dried cranberries
• ¾ cup (125g) sultanas
• ¼ cup (55g) finely chopped glace ginger
• 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, grated
• 1/3 cup (75g) soft dark brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
• ¼ cup (60ml) orange juice
• 1/3 cup (80ml) dark rum or brandy
• 1 teaspoon mixed ground spice
• ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
• 75g pecans, toasted, finely chopped
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• Icing sugar, for dusting
- Combine the dried fruit, glace ginger, apple, brown sugar, orange rind and juice, and spices in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and leave in a cool place for two days, stirring mixture every 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease 18 deep flat-based (2 tablespoon/40ml) patty pan holes.
- Unroll one pack of the pastry. Using a 7.5cm pastry cutter, cut 9 circles and press into half the prepared pan holes. Place in the fridge. Knead remaining pastry into a round and press into a flat disc shape. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 1 hour or until firm. Unroll second pack of pastry. Using a 7.5cm pastry cutter, cut 9 circles. Using a 6cm pastry cutter, cut another 9 circles. Press 9 larger circles into remaining prepared pan holes and place in the fridge. Place smaller circles onto a large plate. Using a 3cm star pastry cutter, cut a star from the centre of each circle. Remove and discard cut-out star. Place plate in the fridge.
- Stir the pecans into fruit mince. Spoon into pastry cases. Top half the tarts with pastry rounds with star cut-outs. Press edges to seal and brush lightly with beaten egg. Remove reserved pastry from freezer. Grate coarsely onto a plate. Working quickly, top remaining tarts with small piles of grated pastry.
- Bake tarts for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Cool tarts in pans for 15 minutes before carefully turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar.
- TIP: Store tarts in a cool, dry place